Sunday, July 02, 2006

summer is here

July 1 has become a milestone for me since I began teaching. It signals the beginning of the summer and two months of recuperation and recharge time for me. I will be spending some of the summer relaxing, but I do have some things that I will be doing that people wouldn't call relaxing.

In preparation for the next school year, I am taking a two week course for music. It's Orff Level One, and the course runs from 8:30am to 5:00pm for ten days (July 5-18), with homework on each day. Needless to say, I expect to be very busy with this. The advantage is that it is a 6 credit hour course, and I am taking it for credit.

I have been confirmed with Winnipeg One again for next year - 1/2 time music, and 1/2 time Reading Recovery. I knew nothing about this program until this year, and it seems that everyone I meet knows a bit about it, or knows a student that goes through it. I hear nothing but good things. The training for that begins in September, but I have 4 books to read over the summer (total thickness 4 inches), so I'll start that after the Orff course.

Other than that, we are both involved in a drama for church in August - that means a number of rehearsals throughout the month of August.

So, my summer is not being spent lazing around - although I am sure to fit that in somewhere. Maybe I'll do that at my parent's place in July (we're going after the course is done).

No comments: