Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Musical Success?



A question...

Is a teacher a success when s/he has students who practice and who are able to perform in front of an audience to a high standard, or are they a success when they deliver a program that covers the musical basics and teaches students to value music?

Or is it when they do both?

I ask this because our school's musical was tonight. I came home after and crashed, waking just to read email and eat a bit. I am proud of what the kids did, and I had a lot of parents come up with great smiles on thier faces, thanking me for the great job.

Did I do the work? Or did I just see the result in my mind and encourage the kids to reach for the "brass ring"?

Or course, it is 1am right now - likely I will not be so pensive during the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A teacher is a success when the students smile at you, the parents smile at you and when you fall into bed at 1 am knowing you gave it your all and so did they! You are a legend when they come back to you years after they graduate and tell you that you made a difference in their life. Especially if they aren't just released from jail when they say it!