Saturday, January 06, 2007

the webs we weave...

I had to add this today.
It seems that the bishop of the Brandon Diocese wants to play politics with his priests - and make them conform to his view of things, and to not adhere to the synod's directives that he gave his consent to in public. Particularily when it comes to Essentials Manitoba.

I've been reading about leadership on Bill Kinnon's blog recently - this would be an example of someone who has a "king" attitude.

I'm wondering what some of the priests are going to do when publicly the bishop says one thing, and then privately he says another. For those who don't know - Essentials Manitoba is an evangelical movement within the Anglican church that is quite conservative in nature. The national group is Essentials Canada. The Bishop is not a member.

quote from the letter:
I hope that I do not need to remind you that in your ordination promises you state that you will respect and be guided by the pastoral direction and leadership of your bishop. As licensed clergy you also swear Oaths and Subscriptions, one of which states, ‘I will pay true and canonical obedience to the Bishop of Brandon in all things lawful and honest. So help me God.’ I also trust that you are all fully aware of my position and pastoral direction with regard to Essentials Manitoba; if you are not, please feel free to speak with me about it. To date no one has shown me any example of how Essentials Manitoba or Essentials Canada is building up the family of God within this Diocese of Brandon or within the National Church and I see it doing just the opposite. From my perspective, it operates from [a] secular political model, not a Church one, but enough said.”
I would keep watching this one.....

1 comment:

Bill Kinnon said...

How incredibly sad. Thanks for point this out.